About Me

My photo
Annie Selak is a lay minister in the Roman Catholic Church and specializes in the question of young adults and vocation in the modern world.

Friday, May 31, 2013

The Visitation: An Invitation to the In Between Moments

The Feast of the Visitation is perhaps my favorite moment in the liturgical calendar.  Here is a brief reflection I offered after communion a few months back at the blessing of a chapel dedicated to the Visitation:


In order to understand the Visitation, we need to back up a little:

The Angel Gabriel comes to Mary and tells her that she will become pregnant with the Son of God.  Mary, being the all-star that she is, responds “let it be done to me.”  While Gabriel is visiting Mary, he tells her that her cousin, Elizabeth, is also pregnant.  Now, Elizabeth was very old and thought to be barren.  So, really, there are 2 major miracles here.

So, then we get into the Visitation. 

Mary, while pregnant, takes off for Judah to visit Elizabeth.  When Mary arrives, Elizabeth is ecstatic.  She describes her child, who we know as John the Baptist, as jumping in her womb.  Elizabeth’s response is gorgeous, and many of you know it from a prayer we often pray today: the Hail Mary.

Often times, that’s where people cut off the story.  But, that misses my absolute favorite part--- the part I consider to be the meat of it:

Mary stays with Elizabeth for 3 months.

That’s all the Bible says.  That’s all we get: Mary stays for 3 months.

I like to imagine what those 3 months were filled with.  I’m sure there was some freaking out about how on earth they became pregnant.  And probably lots of girl talk.  I’m sure there was praying, and laughing and some tears too.
But my guess?  There were a lot of ordinary, every day moments.

And I LOVE that.

So, for 3 months, they just hung out and went about their lives. 
And most definitely, God was present in those ordinary moments.

And here’s what I love the most:
they were together for 3 months, and our semester is roughly 3 months.

Think about these next 3 months of the semester. 
There will be profound moments. 
There will be excruciating moments. 
But most of all--- there will be a lot of in between moments.
Those moments that aren’t especially note worthy.  The moments that fill our day.  The in between moments.

So when I look at the Visitation, I see that it’s about two main things:
 Friendship
God is with us in the in between moments.

In those moments that don’t stand out, in our every day busyness:
God is there.  God is here.

If we pay attention to our every day moments, all the moments that we often just let pass by, we’ll realize the many ways that God is working in our lives. 

So whether you are trying to figure out what to major in, or whether to keep up that long-distance relationship from home, or what to do after graduation--I am confident that God is already speaking to you through your every day experiences. 

It is our job to pay attention to those moments.

So, here is my invitation to you:  listen to God in your lives.  Not just in the big, profound moments, but perhaps more importantly, in the everyday.

2 comments:

Samantha Sharff said...

Hi Annie!

So lovely to meet you at the FTE VEV conference in Atlanta (so many acronyms).

I enjoy your blog and thought I would join you out loud in your love for Mary and Elizabeth. I too am a big fan of these small moments where God is present in the simple, quiet hum of every day life. We were talking last week about these women and about how Mary refers to herself as "lowly". We talked about what that word means and how lowly kind of feels so better than so many other words that sound more "Christian" (i.e. "giving", "selfless", "righteous", "devout"...kind of exhausting am I right??). Anyway. I have been blabbing a bit about Jesus too if you care to read (see below), but regardless, thanks for your leading lady voice out there in the Christian world.

Samantha Sharff

http://alesserbabka.blogspot.com/

Annie Selak said...

It's so good to hear from you, Samantha! Thanks for sharing your insight into that passage. And to think of all the ways that "lowly" has been used to oppress women. I'll definitely check out your blog.

Hope you're doing well!