About Me

My photo
Annie Selak is a lay minister in the Roman Catholic Church and specializes in the question of young adults and vocation in the modern world.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Struggles with Solidarity

Solidarity.
It is a tenet of Catholic Social Teaching that calls us to be connected to people throughout the world, especially those suffering.

For me, there are few words more powerful, yet also few words more cliché.

When I was in college, we threw around this word for everything. If I’m being honest, I’ll admit that when we wanted to make something sound good, we just threw in the word “solidarity” and knew that the inclusion of this buzzword would get us whatever we wanted- whether it was funding for a spring break trip or approval for any number of activities.

In Paul’s Letter to the Colossians, I am struck by his description of community, for it is really a description of solidarity. Listen to this:

For I want you to know how great a struggle I am having for you
and for those in Laodicea
and all who have not seen me face to face,
that their hearts may be encouraged
as they are brought together in love,

I mean, it is practically a definition of solidarity.

When I hear this passage, immediately a question comes to my mind,

“Am I struggling for anyone who I have not seen face to face?”
or, asked in another way,
“Am I in solidarity with anyone?”

And the answer to this is hard for me to admit:
If I’m being generous, then I’ll respond “not as much as I should.”
But if I’m being honest, the actual answer is “no”

And here’s how I know at my core, that the actual answer is no:
Immediately, as soon as I ask myself “am I in solidarity with anyone,” people jump to my mind, people who I know God is calling me to be in solidarity with. I know this is from God, because it is so close to my heart. I don’t even have to search my mind for it: as soon as I ask myself this question, the people of Syria are on my heart and mind.

Life has been crazy for me recently. The months of August and September in Student Affairs are so busy that it's hard to keep up with daily activities, let alone look at big world issues.

But this busy lifestyle, well, it’s only an excuse for not living a life of solidarity. We put our time to what we value, and I have not prioritized solidarity as something worthy of my time or energy.

So, why am I making this public confession?
It’s not because I want to feel sorry for myself, or beat myself up
Rather, I’m going out on a limb and thinking that some of you might struggle with this too.

Balancing all of the demands that come with life in a college is difficult as it is. Opening up the question of solidarity can be overwhelming. I mean, there are so many issues in the world, so many people suffering, how do we even begin to care for others? It seems impossible, right?

But, here’s what I know:
God does not call us to do everything.
That does not mean that we are off the hook.
God calls us to do something, and to do that well.

And here’s where solidarity comes in:
God calls us to do this with one another, but also importantly, for one another.
Solidarity is realizing that my struggles are not the only struggles in the world.
It is recognizing that there is a connection between myself and people in Syria who I have never met and likely will never meet.

And this connection is God.

Our call in this is to listen to God in our lives:
Where is God calling you?
With whom is God calling you?
For whom is God calling you?

While I cannot say for certain what God is calling you to do, there are two things of which I am sure
1) God is in fact working in your life
2) This call is communal, that is, God is calling you through other people and FOR other people

This call to solidarity does not mean that I need to quit my job and move to Syria. In fact, that’s probably a bad idea all around.

But here’s what it does mean:
I need to listen to God in my life
I need to respond to God in my life
I need to be aware of the struggles of others and ensure that they are not alone.
And finally, I need to act.

And that is the beauty of our God:
Through Jesus, we are united with others.
Through prayer, we ensure this community.
Just as Paul was joined with others in the early days of our Church, here we are, 2000 years later, called to do the same.

My prayer for all of us is that we can form a community, a local community, wherever you are, that is in solidarity with those throughout the world. And as we do this, may we avoid the trite meaning of the word, but instead focus on the call from Paul to the Colossians:
How can we be with those struggling throughout the world?

While I may not be certain of the answer, I am certain that God is calling us to be with one another- in solidarity.

This reflection is adapted from a Gospel Reflection delivered on September 9, 2013 at Lucernarium night prayer on Col 1:24-2:3

No comments: